Thursday, August 12, 2010

Jesus Rueda and his Third Symphony


I am always glad to get a chance to hear music that I might have missed had I not been doing this blog, especially when, like today, the music really catches my ear. Jesus Rueda (b. 1961) is a not-yet-old Spanish exponent of modern music. His Third Symphony Luz (Light) (2004-7) forms the centerpiece of a magnetizing new release (Naxos 8.572417) with the Asturias Symphony Orchestra conducted by Maximiano Valdes.

Rueda's symphony is an orgy of sound in five movements. The movements are titled "Fire," "Water," "Earth," "Air," and "Towards the Light." Rueda gets a big, dramatic, very colorful sound from the orchestra, and it is clear he has mastered the capabilities and sound colors to be had. It's exciting music, so much so that my wife paused in her daily course of chores to ask me "who is that?" as she listened. My wife is usually a good test of my review fare, since she can get a bit blase with the constant bombardment of sound coming out of my music system.

And I must say my reaction was the same. This is a truly original symphonic voice. The fine performance ensures that we do not mistake that for something more eclectic. It brings out all the nuances of detail in a work that has plenty of that. It makes me want to hear more of his work. Highly recommended.

4 comments:

  1. Try his first symphony. The initial brass fanfarre is astonishing. Also the movement "Nowhere now-here". I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your input. I will try to get some listening time for those, too.
    Grego

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also find the first, a beautiful symphony. Rueda is one of the most important composer in Spain of our years. I find lot of music by Jesus Rueda with audios in this link: http://www.trito.es/asearch,es/do?l=1&autor[]=30072/Jesus-Rueda.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do not know his First, but will seek it out based on your recommendation. Thanks also for the link, which I and my readers will be checking out.

    Much obliged for the input!
    Grego

    ReplyDelete